
This week, America chose its 44th President. The 2008 election marked the culmination of nearly two years of campaigning. The initial field of contenders was incredibly diverse, comprising pioneers in American politics who challenged preconceived notions about religion, race, gender, and age. It was the most expensive election in the history of the United States. It also drew the largest proportion of eligible voters seen in decades. The political maps and stereotypes which have prevailed in recent decades were largely transformed. As the winner, President-elect Obama has been hailed at home and abroad as an inspiring example of the possibilities of the American dream.
Like many others throughout the world, I became fascinated observing the American political process play itself out over the past two years. For the first time in my life, I found myself inspired to engage with the issues and learn more about the candidates and the philosophies underlying their stances on the issues. The knowledge I gained about our country and its leaders has been incredibly fulfilling, but perhaps even more satisfying have been the revelations I have had regarding my own belief systems and values. In many ways, I feel I have grown with the candidates; speaking to family, friends, and colleagues, I believe many others in the United States and abroad share this sentiment.
Of course, the never-ending campaign is now over. Almost immediately, the political discourse has shifted away from the contest and toward expectations of the Obama administration. As Obama rightly stated in his victory speech, this election has really been about America and her citizens all along. While his ascent to the presidency has undoubtedly been itself an embodiment of the American Dream, the question is now how he and America's other political leaders will affect the opportunities for Americans to realize their own piece of the American Dream. Also important are the implications of Washington's new political leadership for the fates of the other citizens of the world.
There are many uncertainties going into the days ahead:
How committed will Obama be to practicing a new brand of politics? Will his inexperience compromise his ability to govern? Will he be able to fulfill the expectations of the broad coalition of voters which put him into office?
How will the Republican party respond to this electoral defeat? How will this defeat affect their underlying philosophy? Who will be their new standard bearer?
Will Americans come together following this election cycle or will we become ever more partisan? Will the world continue to look upon the United States more favorably with President Obama as her standard bearer, or will the current show of support quickly fade away?
I am building this blog in an attempt to motivate myself and others to consider these and other questions striking at the heart of the pursuit of the American Dream as we turn to a new chapter in history. I hope those reading follow any inclinations they may have to engage and challenge me on my posts, as well as to recommend topics for discussion and consideration. If the past two years have taught me anything, it's that nobody has all of the answers all of the time, but perhaps more important is to ensure that we are always growing.

No comments:
Post a Comment